Rye Foreign in East Sussex
Rye Foreign lies on the A268 and is about 3 miles (5-km) north-west of Rye. The parish encompasses the hamlets of Bowler's Town and Springfield.
Rye Foreign got its name because Rye and Winchelsea were once subject to the Abbey of Fecamp in Normandy. Henry III felt that for the safety of the realm that this should change and signed a Charter of Resumption in 1247, which brought the ports back under the King's control. However, an area outside Rye remained under the control of Abbey and this became known as Rye Foreign.